Monday, October 14, 2013

Delight


Lake Tahoe
Early morning.

A few weeks back I was able to get away for a three day retreat.  This is a usual practice for me...it is my rhythm of being a "seeker".
The amazing thing about this retreat was that I was given a room in a 5-star resort on Lake Tahoe.
GIVEN....

If you have never been to the lake, all I can tell you is that it is absolutely one of the most beautiful places I have seen. It is probably one of the most beautiful lakes on the planet.
Dwelling on the lake for three days of solitude was a true gift.  It was so comfortable to have my own room in a resort!
The weather was perfect.  Autumn in the mountains is crisp, colorful, fantastic. And guess what?  He even gave me freedom to eat and quit fasting!  I think you get the feel of where I am headed.
This retreat was incredible.  It was too good.

I am used to seeking God in seasons of hardship.  I have found Him is the desert, in the plains, in silence and in darkness.  It was hard to accept Him in delight.
In other seasons I always imagined that it would be easy to find Him in comfort and wonder.  I imagined being in "easy" seasons and I complained to Him about not getting an "easy" season!

Now, I get a wonderful retreat on an amazing lake and...I still complain.  Really, it took me two of the three days to accept His goodness.  I had to work through my resistance.  My journal was full of conversation about taking the risk to enjoy what was right in front of me.
I told Him that I am more comfortable in a cabin...or tent...or hammock.
I told Him I should fast because...well that is just what one does when one seeks!
I told Him the resort was awkward because it was so...soft.
I told Him I would hike to make it more...tough.
?

So many times we miss the joy that is right in front of us.  We are afraid.
Afraid the goodness will go away.  Afraid we will be disappointed. Afraid we don't deserve the joy or comfort.
I pushed Him back because I did not deserve this goodness.  He pressed in and reminded me that it was His choice to give this good gift and He wanted me to enjoy it.

Don't be the judge Jim.


Surrender is one of those things we just have to do.  It is required in every season.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Jim,
    I am right with you.

    9“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

    He loves us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I read them all but this entry struck me the most. I am here at this point in my young life where I feel the adventure is gone. I am domesticated. I am not treating this time with honor. I am not enjoying the beauty or the gift of this time. I am not doing enough ministry or my job is nonsense. On and On. I long to love this moment in life. Thanks for the prospective. I know I need some time alone with Him.

    ReplyDelete