Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Clutter

Clutter

I recently taught a class on "Prayer".  
I love prayer, love to talk about it, love to do it, and love to learn more about it.  
Still, there are so many times when prayer is confusing! 
I have found that so many times when I go to pray there is so much clutter in my heart and mind.
Like the leaves in Brandy Creek, my prayer life swarms with do do lists, questions that don't have easy answers, imaginary conversations, and normal life concerns.  When I finally get to a place where I can pray…the leaves swirl around and clog the flow of the river!
Today I am reading "A Short Method of Prayer" by Madame Jeanne Guyon.  She is inspiring and what I would call and expert on prayer.  She writes  "in animating the will by affection, rather than fatiguing the understanding by study…" distractions are defeated.  She also says "a direct contest and opposition only serves to imitate and augment them."
Thank you Madame.
How many times have I wasted hours and days trying by my own will and mind to clear the leaves from my streams?  Yet on a day when my heart is burning with love the leaves in my streams suddenly disappear. Love wins.  Love cleanses and love moves things out of the way.
If only I can learn the fine art of animating my will with affection rather than trying to use my frail mind to force transformations of my heart!

May we all learn the great joy of a heart, mind, and will that is animated with affection.  




No comments:

Post a Comment