Monday, December 9, 2013

Surprise!


Surprise…five inches of snow in Redding!  It never snows like that in Redding!

Surprise…on the same day it snowed, Amy was able to purchase tickets and hotel for our family to make a trip to Disneyland.  The best part is that our children don't know!  We have been saving up and dreaming for many years about taking our kids to Disney.  And finally…we are going!  Tonight we will tell them …and Wednesday morning we will drive south.  We ARE SO EXCITED!

Yesterday, Nathan (pastor at The Stirring in Redding) taught about being "Given".  He shared how we mush give ourselves, our possessions, and finances to God because He gave us Jesus.  It was moving and powerful to consider the generosity of our giving God.
And then I wondered….
I am so excited to tell my kids about the reality of our Disney trip…having planned and prepared and dreamed about it for years…I wonder if God gets as wound up excited as I over the MANY gifts He has given me?  Does He feel the joy and anticipation?  Does He plan in secret for the moment when it is right to release gifts to me?  Wow.
I am sure my enthusiasm about my children's joy is a reflection (most likely a dim one) of Father's heart.

I sat for awhile during the sermon and simply let this idea sink in.
How wonderful to comprehend the Father's joy when I receive good things from Him.  How amazing for me to comprehend the Father's excitement and joy when He gives them.
Surprise!
How many times this week will I be on the receiving end of some small token of the Father's love?  Will I see Him in these gifts?  Will I know His heart?
I pray today you will see clearly…all the wonderful surprises He has in store for you.  May your life be overflowing with grace to experience His love through the big and small gifts that come from Him.

1 comment:

  1. So true! I love that you love experiencing the Father's heart to surprise.

    ReplyDelete